Tuesday, June 25, 2013

still going

Madi had a great time at Camp Rainbow.  It was an overnight camp for kids 6 to 13 living with cancer or other blood-related disorders.  I only got a couple of calls that week to let me know she was homesick.  The counselors also had a scare when Madi slept for 14 hours one night.  A quick CBC showed there was nothing to worry about.  She did last the whole week, though!  Huge accomplishment for a 6 year old who has never been away from home by herself.

Madi with Cara and Hannah, her counselors
The kids and I headed in to my parents' place for a few days after camp was finished.  We had a lot of fun catching up with my parents and some of the people I grew up with.  There was also a LOT of swimming.  Our 3 yr old son decided to take his little floaties off and learn how to swim.  I now have 5 kids who can keep their noses above the water all by themselves.  Makes time at the pool a little less stressful.

The day after we returned, Madi had to go in for treatment (vincristine and methotrexate) and a CBC.  She also started steroids for 5 days.  Steriod week is never an easy one, but we seem to be learning some tricks to make the time a little more bearable.   Naps seem to be the best help, but what kid wants to take a nap?!

July is going to be another busy month for us.  Different kids have different activities they will be a part of.  Thankfully, nothing is scheduled that overlaps.  Before I know it, I'll be purchasing school supplies and getting ready to meet our teachers for the year.  Time seems to be going by much too quickly for the fun stuff and not fast enough for the not so fun stuff.  Still, life is good!

No comments: